Thursday, October 27, 2011

Swallowtail shawl

So I have finally managed to get on the Swallowtail bus (seriously over 9000 people on Ravelry have now knit this thing) and I must say, I've got the bug!



pattern: Swallowtail shawl by Evelyn Clark
yarn: Elizabeth Lavold's Hempathy --just over three balls (but I had so many ends from frogging a project for the yarn that I think you could do it in three if you were starting fresh)
needles: 4.5mm


the mister said it looks like I'm wearing a "spiderweb", just in time for Halloween I suppose.

It's been a while since I did a lace project like this....lace is fun (or at least this project was) but also frustrating. There were several bouts of "unknitting" at times when I wasn't paying attention. Though I *was* smart enough to put in some lifelines for once, but I think too lazy to do it often enough to be of any real help.

As usual with any lace project, the beauty comes when it is finally pinned out:

blocking

Husband woke up in the morning to find it pinned to the floor and was quite surprised I think..."this is what you've been swearing about?" realization now dawning as to why I wasn't able to knit and watch a movie without a million expletives.

Still it went up fast and I can totally see myself making another.

My only issue came on the last row (TG for youtube knitting tutorials) because I must have re-read that line ten times and still couldn't figure out what it was asking me to do. I re-wrote it in my own Cara-speak though (you can see my ravelry details if you are interested in that) and then it all made sense.

I frogged the yarn from this shrug (plus the remainder of one ball still in my stash) for it. Naturally I RAN OUT OF YARN with two rows left to go…grrrrrrr. So off I went to buy one more ball (three years after buying the original yarn with no hope of even knowing what my dye lot was) and will now have virtually a whole ball of the same yarn left in my stash again, thus making my stash exactly the same as when I began this project.

lace detail

Still, the shawl in this yarn/colour is gorgeous and will get a lot more wear than it ever did in it’s previous incarnation as a shrug. Surely everyone knows by now how much I love MUSTARD. And fortunately for me it's actually on trend this year!

My gigantic, enormous Kiki Mariko rug is also nearing the finish line. Can't wait to see how that turns out once all the felting is done. Could be amazing, could be crap.

And on another note I have taken the Pinterest plunge, so follow me there if you have want to do so.

Pinterest seriously appeals to my lazy (and easily distracted) internet nerd within!

6 comments:

Evelyn said...

I am always in awe of you lace knitters and your Swallowtail shawl is a great example of why I am always in awe of you lace knitters. WOW - somehow I wish you could wear your shawl all laid out flat like that to really show the beauty and intricacy of the lace repeat. Super job, Cara! As for pinterest, I got the bug a while ago and am on it much too much. But now that I know you're on it, too, it'll be even more fun. I'm heading over there now to follow you! Happy knitting and pinning.

eliza said...

well, your shawl looks gorgeous! quick, made a hat or some mitts with your almost a whole skein, and then you never have to look at it again!

maybe you should have a de-stashing party on your blog? you seem so burnt out on your stash. let your readers take it away from you...

kgirlknits said...

Gorgeous! The colour is stunning

LittleCanoe said...

This is sooo pretty! I really want to knit one, just not sure i have the patience right now. Especially considering I've been knitting one pair of legwarmers for about 7 months now......but this is definitely going on my list. And of course, the mustard is the perfect choice. Goes so well with your red hair. You're like a walking celebration of Autumn!

Anonymous said...

Pretty! Ohh, a black one would be so kickin for halloween.

(Psst! I have the same problem with lace! Expletive soup!)

cheers,
Daisy

Marthaamay O_o said...

This looks so lovely, great colour for it.