Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Marimekko I heart you so

(image deleted)
Marrimekko, how do I love thee? Let me count the... Those who know me also know that I am OBSESSED with Marimekko, essentially the inspiration for all of the way inferior wall hangings Reckless Glue produced for our last craft sale. The fabric is next to impossible to find in here in Canada, and I've spent countless hours trolling ebay, particularly in search of vintage Marimekko fabrics and all of the truly amazing mod! mod! mod! clothing they produced in the sixties. On ebay it definitely gets too rich for my blood, though I did once purchase two wall hangings in this pattern (but pink)
http://store.txtlart.com/lumimarjakit.html which, though I loved them, were clearly fabric remnants, and so effing expensive in the end.

So it was with unbridled enthusiasm that I dragged the BF to the Holy Mecca in NYC when we were there last month:
***note this is not the actual Upper East Side store...I think this photo is of one of the stores in Finland. The one in New York sadly was VERY small, and as such marginally disappointing for the basis of a special trip, but I did indulge in a few expensive purchases and some fabric, with which I also made this wall hanging over the holidays:

I love it. Our living room is lime green and chocolate brown so it works really well. I plan to order direct from them from here on in, and would encourage anyone wanting a truly amazing piece of easy art to either buy their insanely beautiful and timeless silk-screened fabrics (this Kaivu pattern I chose they've been making since 1964) or fork out the dough for a complete kit. When you grow tired of it you can just turn around and sell it on ebay for 200 bucks, it's a win-win!

No comments: