Friday, January 12, 2007

break time

I've had to take a bit of a break from the clapotis . It's only been a week and I think I'm more than half done, which is great, but I'm starting to suspect that I should have seriously scaled it down. I'm four skeins in and I already feel like it's begun to take on tablecloth proportions. Perhaps once it's done and all curly I won't feel this way(?) she asks hopefully.

Plus, my orange and brown obsession just rearred its ugly head again. When I was a child overseas, and then later in Quebec, my main staple of an outfit was this chocolate brown pantsuit that was ALWAYS worn with an orange and white checkered shirt. Sounds hideous, right? At the time I loved it (and I looooved being a brownie, though not so much a guide), I'll see if I can scrounge up a photo of it somewhere. And ever since I've always been drawn to that colour combo. When I came across yarn in those same colours it was kismet. Also. it. was. on. sale. And had that incredible softness that only a touch of "fake" can bring. So, I'm in the process of cranking out just a ribbed scarf in it:

(image deleted)

Somehow I've managed to throw out all the tags, but it's Scheepjes by HWS (which no doubt and at first glance meens sheepies, another part of the draw), which I think is a company from Finland. It's mostly wool, and part (nylon?) which is likely the little orange pompom parts. I couldn't find an exact copy online anywhere to link it either, sorry. In retrospect I should have bought more, and likely not chosen a rib, since it's stiffening it up a bit, the the yarn is so floppy it's probably just as well. Short of the clapotis taking over I hope to have it done by this weekend, if not tonight, as well as another quickie scarf for my sister, which likely would have been done ages ago, again if not for the clap. A scarf I might add that is 100% nylon. Though it kind of is one of those ribbonny sort of deals. I'm not much of a snob about yarn, if I like the way something feels or looks I will usually just go for it, though I definitely prefer naturally fibres. My mom on the other hand is seriously old school...squeaky yarns and metal needles all the way.

I was fondling all of the Manos Del Uruguay wool the other night, and I have to say that I think I've really found my niche in the knitting industry with that one. They are a rural co-operative in Uruguay, creating jobs for women there. I may have to purchase all of my yarn from them.
the 411

No comments: